• Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • Black Google+ Icon
  • Black YouTube Icon
  • Black Pinterest Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon

  

GEORGES

ARTEMOV

(1892-1965)

 

Coming to Moscow in 1910, Georgy Artemov joined the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (Konstantin Korovin’s workshop). His personal exhibition was held in Rostov-on-Don in 1911. In December 1913, he went to Paris where accommodation was provided to him by Ossip Zadkine who introduced Georgy to Montparnasse artists. In 1917, he returned to Novocherkassk. In the Civil War, he served as an officer in the White Army, with units of which he evacuated to Constantinople in 1920. In 1923, he found himself in France again where he was a member of the Union of Russian Artists in France. He was a sculptor and a painter. He drew mostly portraits and still lives. After the war, he was mostly engaged in painting. He depicted maternity, harlequins, musicians, religions compositions, still lives, less frequently, landscapes. In 1948, he became a French national. In 1946/1958, he arranged for approx. 20 personal exhibitions in Nice, Carcassonne, Cannes, Montpellier, Toulouse, and Paris. The master’s works are kept in the National Museum of Modern Art (Musée National d'Art Moderne) and Musée d'Orsay in Paris, in Toulouse-Lautrec Museum in Albi, museums of Montpellier, Carcassonne, Toulouse, Lyon and Sète.