STILL-LIFE WITH BOATS
Fiberboard, oil, pastel
A painter, graphic artist, scenographer, book painter.
In the early 1990’s, he studied at artistic schools of Odessa and Kharkov, and in 1912 came to St. Petersburg. At the beginning of WWI he entered a military school, and in 1916 took part in battles in the Galicia front and was wounded. In 1919, he expartiated to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croatians and Slovenians. In 1920–1924, he worked as decorator at the People’s Theater in Belgrade and copies Byzanthian frescos. In 1924, he held the first personal exhibition in Belgrade and received an award.
In 1925, he moved to Paris. In 1925–1926, he visited classes in I. Shukhaev and A. Yakovlev studio. In 1926, he conducted a one-day personal exhibition. Later on, he studied at P. Ranson’s Academy and was under strong influence by cubist R. Bissier in whose studio he worked for some time (1938). He drew landscapes, still lives with flowers, fish and birds, portraits. He made decorations for performances of Zh. Pitoev’s theater. He decorated the Pavilion of Baltic States at the National Exhibition in Paris (1937). He made friends with Russian artists – D. Merinov and Zh. Lebedev.
He took part in Paris-based salons: d'Automne, Indepednet, Super-Independent, Comparison and Tuilleries, in Russian art exhibitions in Brussels (1928), Paris (galleries Alice Manteau, 1931, d’Alignan, 1931; La Renaissance, 1932) and Prague (1935), exhibitions of the Circle Group in Belgrade (1931). He conducted personal exhibitions in Parisian galleries of S. Lesnik (1928), AtelierMme Margaret Train Embre (1930), La Boёtie (1930). He contributed pictures to help Russian youth (1928), members of the Union of Former Russian Judiciary (1935).
In 1940–1945, he lived in southern France, in Agen. Together with his wife, he hid partisans and officers in his house. He was awarded with the Resistance Cross (1971). In spring/summer 1945, he participated in Russian art exhibitions arranged by France-USSR Committee of the 14th district and the Union of Russian Patriots.
After the war, he travelled in southern France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, wrote many landscapes.
He drew frescos and icons for Uniate churches in Marseille and Strasbourg. He illustrated books Les Fleurs du Mal by Charles Bodelaire, Amours by P. Ronsar, New, Unusual Stories by Edgar Poe, Nose by Nikolay Gogol (they were displayed at a special exhibition in the Paul Valeri Club in 1954). He collaborated with the C’est Paris magazine.
He held personal exhibitions in Parisian galleries of L. Krog (1949), La Boёtie (landscapes: oil, gouache, crayons; 1951), Cimaise de Paris (1952, 1953, 1954), Cimaise du Vieux-Colombier (1962), A. Weil (1964, 1968, 1976 – retrospective), in New York Gallery of P. Bernet (1957) etc. He participated in the Exhibition of European Art in the New York based Achard Gallery (1965), exhibitions of Russian Artists of Parisian School in the House of French Thought in Paris (1961) and the Russian View in Heidelberg (1974). In 1972, his picture of Sunrise over Rockebrune became a poster of the International Exhibition in Basle, and the picture itself was purchased by the Kunsthaus Museum in Zurich. He donated some of his pictures to St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral.